A rare opportunity to own a fully equipped modern dairy farm with an exceptional farmhouse along with two cottages in the beautiful Eden River valley has come to market with a guide price of £7 million.
Lowthian Gill Farm is a first class and fully equipped dairy farm boasting an excellent range of modern and traditional farm buildings, 494ac of productive, free draining, Grade 3 land, all within a ring fence.
The farm is being offered for sale as a whole or in two lots due to retirement and includes an opportunity to purchase the milking herd in addition.
Considerable investment has been made in the property in recent years including the construction of a new cubicle house and the installation of a De Laval milking parlour and bulk tank facilities.
The farm, six miles from Carlisle, has been run as a mixed dairy and arable unit with short-term grass leys grown in an arable rotation and around 165ac drilled to winter and spring crops this year.
The principal enterprise on the farm is a 200-cow dairy herd alongside bull beef production and over wintering of sheep.
Extensive modern livestock and dairy buildings feature a 32:32 herringbone parlour, 12,000L bulk tank, automated feed and cleaning system and cubicle housing for up to 300 cows.
There is also 650,000 gallons of slurry storage.
John Coleman, who heads up GSC Grays Specialist Farms and Country House Agency, said:
“This is a rare opportunity to own a highly productive, modern dairy farm with multi-generational housing in the heart of prime dairy country in Cumbria’s Eden valley.
“The milk from the farm is currently sold under a sought-after Arla contract, Arla have confirmed that they would be pleased to discuss extending the contract with the next owner of Lowthian Gill on condition that they take over the land, buildings, equipment and cows.”
The property comprises:
- Farmhouse with three reception rooms, 6 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms;
- Adjoining three-bedroom cottage;
- Separate two-bedroom lodge cottage;
- Extensive modern livestock and dairy buildings with 32:32 herringbone parlour, 12,000L bulk tank and automated feed and cleaning system. Cubicle housing for up to 300 cows. 650,000 gallons of slurry storage;
- Traditional stone courtyard buildings;
- Productive Grade three arable land, ploughable pasture, permanent grazing and woodland