AHDB to offer discounted DIY AI course for beef and sheep farmers
AHDB Beef & Lamb has announced it will fund up to 50% of the costs of DIY artificial insemination (AI) courses for suckler producers with over 30 breeding females.
Following successful uptake of the scheme in 2017, funding has been extended until March 2020, with a further 250 course places available.
The courses will be delivered on a regional basis across the country by XL Vets Training Services and Westpoint Farm Vets.
Why use AI?
Artificial insemination offers several advantages for suckler farmers. These include:
- Improve the genetics of your herd;
- Ability to use bulls with proven performance;
- Tailor the breeding of your herd by selecting for maternal or terminal traits;
- Speed up genetic progress of your breeding females with sexed semen;
- Reduce the need to keep as many bulls on the farm.
How to apply
To book onto a course contact your nearest provider. Full contact details and regional coverage, including upcoming course availability, can be found on the AHDB Beef & Lamb website.
The funding will also be available to final year Agriculture students who can successfully demonstrate how they will use the skills gained on the course in their future career.