A city farm in Bristol is one of eight projects to have been chosen to receive government funding of £2.2 million.
Hartcliffe City Farm will be funded through the latest tranche of the Community Ownership Fund, the government has said today (Thursday, May 19).
The farm, which opens to the public on June 5, provides a green space with market and flower gardens for local people to enjoy, as well as producing food and offering volunteering opportunities
The grant will regenerate 30ac of land at the farm, which meets the fund's aim of benefiting the local community.
"Through this fund we are empowering local people, restoring their pride in the places where they live and levelling up communities across the United Kingdom," said Minister for Levelling Up, the Union and Constitution, Neil O’Brien MP.
"From bringing historic buildings back to life in Ramsgate to creating a community farm in the centre of Bristol, the Community Ownership Fund enables local people to take on projects that benefit their communities and save venues that would otherwise be lost forever."
The other seven projects to receive funding are:
- A community in Yorkshire taking ownership of the Countryman’s Inn pub
- One of London’s oldest pubs, the Old Red Lion in Islington relaunching its theatre pub venue;
- The Oxford Arms pub in Herefordshire transforming into a vibrant community hub;
- A historic church in Somerset providing a community arts and social centre;
- A boxing and development centre in Oldham, which aims to support young people and families;
- Pugin’s heritage building being restored into a vibrant community place for local people to enjoy stunning views which dining by the marina;
- In Northern Ireland, the regeneration of St. Columb’s Hall creating a community centre in the heart of Derry-Londonderry.
The fund is already helping communities across the nation, with the first round of successful projects having been announced in autumn of last year.
Applications to bid for the second round of funding through the Community Ownership Fund will open in June this year.