A barn in Orsett, Essex, England, has been destroyed after a fire broke out yesterday (Monday, February 14).

Firefighters were called to a farm in the Great Braxted area where a grain dryer, holding approximately 20t of maize, was on fire.

On arrival, crews confirmed that the barn, measuring approximately 20mx10m, was completely alight and a 27-year-old male was suffering from burn injuries. Firefighters administered first aid and he was taken to hospital shortly afterwards.

The cause of the fire has been determined as accidental.

Due to difficult water access, crews requested a water bowser from Halstead Fire Station as well as two additional crews from Great Baddow and Maldon to assist with shuttling water to the scene.

Firefighters used an Aerial Ladder Platform (ALP) to tackle the fire from above while firefighters from the Urban Search and Rescue team (USAR) cut away at the dryer to expose the fire.

While using the ALP to tackle the fire from above and to inspect surrounding risks, crews worked to remove the grain from the dryer to extinguish the fire in sections.

From working throughout the day, the fire was mostly extinguished. At midnight, relief crews arrived to monitor and dampen remaining hotspots. The area was confirmed to be completely cool at 1:28a.m.