5 in hospital after Welsh meat-processing factory ‘leak’

Five people have been taken to hospital after a suspected chemical leak at a meat-processing factory in Wales.

Fire crews and paramedics were called to the factory in Llangeni, Anglesey, Wales, this morning (Monday, September 6), following reports of an ammonia leak on site.

In a statement, North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said:

“Two crews from Holyhead, the Environmental Protection Unit from Holyhead and a crew from Bangor were called to a meat processing factory on the Industrial Estate Road, Llangefni at 10.07a.m this morning to deal with a suspected ammonia leak.

Nine casualties were treated at the scene and five have now been taken to hospital by colleagues from WAST [Welsh Ambulance Service Trust] for further treatment.”

Ammonia is a toxic gas and effects of over-inhalation can result in mild to severe respiratory injuries, with a possibility of death.

Exposure to liquid ammonia can also lead to frostbite.

Keep an eye on Agriland.co.uk for updates as they come along.