Holstein UK Announce Winners of 2020 Master Breeder Awards
A total of 19 high-performing Holstein herds have been awarded Master Breeder status by Holstein UK.
Cows and heifers in each herd are allocated points according to set criteria and only animals carrying the member prefix, and which are recorded as having produced a lactation within the last two years, are eligible for inclusion in the calculation.
A herd achieving an average score of four points or more and a total point score of 150 or more, will qualify the member as a Master Breeder.
The Master Breeder Winners 2020
The winners of the 2020 Holstein UK Master Breeder awards are:
- ABERCORN, D.J. Wallace, Co. Antrim;
- BENEKNOWLE, P.J. Andrews, Devon;
- CHEDHUNT, R. & K.M. House & Son, Somerset;
- DEONA, D. Johnston & Co, Co. Londonderry;
- DROINTON, A.W. Mackellar, Staffordshire;
- EDENORDINARY, H. Mitchell & Sons, Co. Down;
- FORDWICH, W.J. Kerr, Co. Antrim;
- EUFFORDD, Breeze Farms Ltd., Pembrokeshire;
- GLADWAKE, W. & P. Ives, Hampshire;
- GOITRE, G. Benyon Thomas, West Glamorgan;
- HEATHERSGILL, T. Graham & Son, Cumbria;
- HUDDLESTONE, Huddlestone Farmers Limited, West Sussex;
- MAESYRAFON, E. Evans & Son, Dyfed;
- MILWR, Pierce’s, Cheshire;
- ORMOND, D.J. & G. Davies, Dyfed;
- SHAWDALE, D.E. & M.A. Booth, West Yorkshire;
- WILLOFARM, D. & G. Throne, Co. Tyrone;
- WILLSBRO, Wills Brothers Limited, Cornwall; and
- WOODMARSH, M. & J.C. Gould, Shropshire.
Over 120,000 type classifications have been completed in the last 12 months, highlighting the continued popularity of this service as a tool for identifying cows which thrive in modern production systems.
Most classifications are carried out for private farmers, but many are also undertaken on behalf of the A.I. industry to progeny test UK Holstein sires.
Holstein UK chief executive officer Sue Cope said: “Congratulations to the 19 herds which have met the qualification standards for this year’s award.
The Holstein UK Master Breeder is an important status which carries credibility and desirability.
“It demonstrates the breeder’s strengths in rearing and progressing cattle to an outstanding standard and offers the herd a level of superior ranking and greater value.”