Aberdeen Angus bulls sell to 4,400gns twice at Dungannon
Prices reached a ceiling of 4,400gns twice, with auctioneer Trevor Wylie confirming that 10 bulls sold to average £3,570 (approx. €4,160) per head – an increase of £1,024 (approx. €1,193) on this time last year when four lots levelled at £2,546 (approx. €2,966). First-time exhibitors Andrew and Zara Clarke from Tynan, Co. Armagh, had a day to remember, clinching the supreme championship award and a joint top bid of 4,400gns.
He was purchased by the Foyle Food Group for its High Genetic Sire Scheme, an initiative aimed at encouraging Aberdeen Angus Quality Beef Ltd. producers to use superior genetics. Semen is available to AAQB members in Northern Ireland. The pre-sale show was judged by Alwyn Armour from the Woodvale Herd in Dromara, Co. Down. He commented:
The champion caught my eye. He is a good bull with breed character, well-grown for his age, and walks well on sound feet and legs.”Tynan Charles was snapped up by James Thompson from Culmore in north west Derry.
Also on Thompson’s shopping list at 4,400gns was the third placed Loughans Moaning W591 TSI 34 SRI 44. The animal was bred by former Ulster and Irish rugby ace Rory Best, and his father John, who run a 60-cow herd at Poyntzpass.
Born in January 2020, Faro was sired by Rawburn Bannockburn T628, and is bred from the privately purchased Rawburn Felicia T496 – one of 30 cows in the Co. Tyrone-based herd. Ranked in the breed’s top 1% for terminal sire index 57, and self-replacing index 71, he was bought by Harry Wilson from Victoria Bridge, Strabane.
Results from the judging ring at DungannonBull, born between January 29, 2020 and March 30, 2020:
- Neville and Ivan Forsythe, Coltrim Ellipse W272 sired by Schivas Captain Black U656;
- Neville and Ivan Forsythe, Coltrim Judge Eric W261 by Schivas Captain Black U656;
- Rory Best, Loughans Moaning W591 by Rawburn Jagger Eric R094;
- Kevin McOscar, Island Farm Faro W611 by Rawburn Bannockburn T628.
- Kevin McOscar, Island Farm Metal W655 sired by Drumhill Lord Hatfield R532;
- Neville and Ivan Forsythe, Coltrim Lord Jenga W305 by Schivas Captain Black U656;
- Adrian and Graeme Parke, Coolermoney Rufus W016 by Haymount War Smith R578;
- Neville and Ivan Forsythe, Coltrim Eggo W316 by Coltrim Black Bando T874.
- and supreme champion, Andrew and Zara Clarke, Tynan Charles W071 sired by Elliot Bravo T452.