Hunt begins for 2019 Welsh dairy person of the year
The Farmers’ Union of Wales is once again looking to recognise an individual who has made a great contribution towards the development of the dairy industry and has become an integral part of the dairy industry in Wales.
To recognise such a person, the union is seeking nominations for its FUW Outstanding Service to the Welsh Dairy Industry award.
FUW Carmarthenshire county executive officer David Waters said: “There are a number of very worthy individuals in Wales who deserve this award and looking back we have had some fantastic nominations and winners.
If you know of a person in Wales who has made a great contribution towards the development of the dairy industry and has become an integral part of it in Wales, then why not nominate them for this prestigious award?
Past winners include:
- Former FUW Carmarthenshire county president Ogwyn Evans (2008);
- Carmarthenshire farmer Bryan Thomas – a past member of the Holstein Friesian Society council and founder member of the Welsh Dairy Show (2009);
- Flintshire dairy farmer Terrig Morgan – who established a successful discussion group ‘The Udder Group’ in Flintshire for younger milk producers now run by DairyCo (2010);
- DairyCo chairman Tim Bennett (2011);
- Former FUW Milk and Dairy Produce Committee chairman Eifion Huws from Anglesey (2012);
- NFU England and Wales Dairy Board chairman Mansel Raymond, (2013);
- Gwynedd farmer Rhisiart Tomos Lewis (2014);
- Daioni Organic owner Laurence Harris (2015);
- Gareth Roberts of Llaeth y Llan (2016);
- Former FUW vice president Brian Walters of Clunmelyn farm (2017); and
- NFU Cymru deputy president Aled Jones (2018).
Nominations should be in the form of a letter or citation giving full details of the work and achievements of the nominee.
These should be sent to the FUW Carmarthenshire county office, 13a Barn Road, Carmarthen, SA31 1DD or via email by Monday, October 7.