JCB has launched its new Teleskid 3TS-8W onto the Irish market at the National Ploughing Championships in Screggan, Tullamore, Co. Offaly.

This new machine is aimed at the agricultural sector, as its small size and telescopic reach is ideal for farmers operating in tight spaces.

The Teleskid has a maximum boom reach of 4.05m and, according to JCB, when at full extension, has a rated operating capacity of 611kg. This new version can reach depths of 1m below ground level.

Speaking to JCB’s Peter Meade, he said it is the first skid-steer with both a vertical and radial lift – this is achieved using a telescoping boom on a radial lift chassis.

He explained: “The machine has a standard hydraulic flow-rate of 90L/min, which allows attachments to be operated when the telescopic boom is fully extended.

The standard quick-hitch allows for compatibility with any skid-steer loader attachments. It is equipped with a single-point lock and unlock flag for increased visibility, ensuring that the attachment is safely locked in place.

This skid-steer is home to a 74hp JCB engine and has a “zero turning radius” – increasing productivity in confined spaces, according the manufacturer.

The company claims that its Smoothride System and 2-speed transmission “ensure greater load retention and operator comfort for faster loading cycles and improved travel times”.

The 7-way multi-function joystick makes it “easy” to control a wide range of hydraulically-driven attachments.

Laminated side glass, instead of the usual mesh, further contributes to better all-round visibility; “thoughtful” placement of control panels in the cab also contribute to greater views out of the machine.

A large rear service door is claimed to provide “easy” access to all daily maintenance points and the engine. All regular checks and greasing can be done at ground level; a tilting cab provides “excellent” access for more detailed maintenance, without needing to raise the boom.


According to JCB’s Colin Doherty, there is increased interest in their machines – both in the agriculture and construction sectors. Doherty commented: “70% of all machines sold go to the construction industry, while the remaining 30% go into agriculture.”

In the agricultural sector, Doherty noted that the expansion of the dairy sector is expected to drive sales of silage contracting equipment.

We are the market leader in relation to loading shovels; our machines are specially designed for pushing up silage.

In relation to the tillage sector, he said: “Tractor sales are slow; further reflecting the pressures felt by farmers in this industry.”

Doherty also noted: “The TM320 articulated telescopic handler proves very popular with agricultural customers, while the 540-170 telehandler is favoured by the construction industry.”